Sunday, June 7, 2009

Trying not to waste meat

I try not to waste any kind of left over food. I have a veggie bag in the freezer that I put the little bits of vegetables in that we have left after supper. It makes great soup later. I know lots of people do this, then you have your bag of mixed vegetables ready when you want soup. What do you do with your left over meat? Some times we will have a half a pork chop, chicken, steak, etc left over. We do take leftovers for lunch and then usually let the dogs or stray cats have the rest. I would rather us eat the expensive meat. I came across this recipe that uses meat scraps so I think I may make a meat bag in the freezer and try this when it gets full. I will scale the recipe down as it looks like it would make alot.



Barbecue Gumbo Recipe

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
2 large yellow onions -- peeled and chopped
2 large green peppers -- cored, seeded, and chopped
1/2 bunch celery -- trimmed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 pounds barbecued meat scraps
2 cans (28-ounce size) crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock8 ounces frozen cut okra2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Louisiana-style hot sauce

Directions:
Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, peppers, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic powder and season to taste with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high, then add 1 cup water, meat, tomatoes, and chicken stock to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until meat is fork-tender and falling apart, about 30 minutes. Add okra, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or more if you like) and continue cooking until okra is tender and gelatinous and gumbo has thickened, about 15 minutes.

I think this will be great with BBQ season here. What do you do with your left over meat?

No comments: