Monday, December 15, 2008

Meat

I live is a house of meat eaters which is by far the most expensive thing we buy on our Grocery list. Here are a few things that I do to keep this cost down.

1.) I usually buy family packs of meat which saves money per pound. I then split it into family size meals and freeze it.

2.) I always shop the sales and try to only buy meat that is on sale that week. If there are not any good sales that week I try not to buy meat that week unless we don't have any in the freezer.

3.) If there is something that I know we eat alot of on sale I always stock up so I don't have to buy it at full price. (For example, I always stock up on Boneless Skinless chicken when it is under $2 a pound. We eat a ton of chicken. I bought 5 or 6 pounds the other day for $1.79 a pound which should last several weeks but we didn't have any in the freezer. I was starting to sweat that I was going to have to pay full price.)

4.) I comp ad other stores at Wal-Mart if I am unable to make it to the other stores.

5.) I substitute ground turkey for ground chuck. I don't think the kids knew I was doing this forever. It's lean and costs $1.59 for a pound roll at Wal-Mart. (For example, if I am making meat loaf I use one pound of ground chuck and one pound of turkey. This helps keep it lean and saves me money. I also use ground turkey for spaghetti and hamburger helper.) I try to always buy ground chuck so the ground meat is lean which means I pay a little more for this but feel it is worth it.

6.) Try not to be wasteful. This is hard. We take left overs for lunch but still things get wasted. If it happens to stay in the fridge a little too long we either give it to the dogs or to the the stay cats. Things get wasted around here more that I would like to admit.

With all that said, Scott did awesome comp adding at Wal-Mart this week. He comped Harter House in Branson which our Wal-Mart honors. He got several pounds of Granny Smith apples for $.49lb and got about 10lbs of Ground Chuck for $1.69lb. This saved us a dollar a pound on apples and $1.15 a pound on Ground Chuck. I'm so glad I have convinced him that price shopping is worth it and it saved me a trip to Wal-Mart. WOOHOO!! The cashier gave him a hard time so I might not be able to talk him into doing it again.

Does anyone have any other pointers on how to save on our meat purchases?

2 comments:

Becky said...

These are all great ways to save on meat. We are meat eaters too and have found that Meijer has great markdowns on meat about to expire. We buy it up at 40% off, bring it home and freeze it until we are ready to use it.

If you have a Meijer close by, check them out. Typically between 10-12noon are the best times to catch the best selection of markdowns.

Angie said...

We don't have most of the major chains in my small town. :(